Monday, November 22, 2010

Simply in Season: Thanksgiving Treat

DSC_0571 copy

For the past few years I've rather adopted the role of the official cranberry sauce maker on Thanksgiving. I always loved the canned jelly stuff and then one day, I wanted to try the real version and started with the basics: cranberries, water, and sugar. A few years into my tradition, I'm playing with different recipes in hopes of being able to perfect my own. I feel like I'm getting closer than ever. I wanted to do one with a lot of spices and cooked in wine instead of water so I found and used this recipe.

This year I'll be spending Thanksgiving with my boyfriend's family but I still wanted to continue my tradition. I decided to buy some jars and cook up a few batches to share with the people I'm thankful for. By decorating the jar with some ribbon and trim in some seasonal colors you turn a simple thing into a lovely little gift.

This year I'm thankful for my loving and supportive family. So I sent them a jar.

This year I'm thankful for my job, having a job, learning at my job. So my boss gets one.

This year I'm thankful for the new; new opportunities, new friendships. So I'm bringing one to the party.

DSC_0538 copy
ingredients: cranberries, brown sugar, shiraz cabernet,
cinnamon, nutmeg, crystalized ginger, ground cloves, navel oranges

This is a fairly simple recipe with not a lot of work. Cutting the segments out of the orange is the most time consuming thing, but it's worth it and not that hard. Just use a little knife, like so.

DSC_0547 copy

DSC_0556 copy

DSC_0563 copy
Ta-da!

DSC_0564 copy

Now chop up the crystallized ginger and combine all the ingredients together. Then continue to follow the directions until it cooks up into a jelly. Let cool, then jar, and share the love.

DSC_0568 copy

8 comments:

  1. looooooooooks so yummi!!!
    i just bumped into your blog! love it!

    xoxo from rome
    K.
    http://kcomekarolina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem like such a great cute! I bet your cranberries are super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks delicious!!!! I will try it for sure because I love cranberries :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous pics!
    your blog is super amazing and I follow u!
    visit my blog and if u like it do the same: follow me!
    it would be an honour...
    thanks, v

    http://v4visionarity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was never a big cranberry fan on Thanksgiving because I've only ever had the canned stuff and I think that's why I dislike it, but I have a feeling I would really enjoy yours!

    Happy Thanksgiving deary :] We can be a little Chicago-sick aka homesick together on the west coast.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. Please share your thoughts. :)