Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Simply in Season: Carrot Ginger Soup

DSC_0752 copy

After the festival of eating last week, I found myself sitting on the couch on Sunday reading Skinny Bitch, the popular vegan lifestyle book. I've read the book and felt that it was very informative, but I've chosen to remain a carnivore. Sometimes though, I like to pick it up to inspire me to be healthy again when I feel like I've hit an icky slump. During our road trip I spotted a recipe for carrot ginger soup in the December issue of Self magazine. It's made simply with a couple of fresh veggies and almond milk so it's vegan friendly, and thus, I assume, Skinny Bitch approved. When I finally managed to peel myself off the couch, I went to check out Santa Monica's Co-opportunity grocer to score some local and organic veggies. I picked up a bunch of beautiful carrots, some ginger root, and off-a-cookin' I went.

DSC_0725 copy

DSC_0736 copy

DSC_0733 copy

DSC_0740 copy

This soup definitely has a unique taste, much different than I'm used to, but it's still strangely delightful. I didn't have cumin seeds so I used about 1/3 teaspoon of ground cumin instead. I also added about 1/2 a tablespoon of honey to the soup and it brought out the sweetness of the carrots a bit more. I put the orange zest directly in before pureeing and just added a greek yogurt dollop. Don't you just love to say dollop?

We didn't have any leftovers but I was still craving them, so I paired this with a panini made with turkey and the cranberry sauce I made last week.

nom.nom.nom. happy harvest.

3 comments:

  1. i live for carrot soup!! can't wait to try this one out! thanks for stopping by my blog xx
    www.thecallbackcollection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. fellow skinny bitch that still loves her meat here too! It's a great book though.

    lifeafterlectures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. Please share your thoughts. :)