Monday, November 8, 2010

Simple Simmers: Chicken Stock

Chicken stock is one of those simple basics that all foodies should have under their belt. Though it's simple to make, it usually makes cooking a little bit more time consuming so most cooks will resort to store-bought stock. Now, I'm no purist but I strongly believe that avoiding preservatives is best for your health. So when you have a little extra time, boil up a pot. Then, you can pour your stock in containers and freeze it until you're ready to use it. Here is my recipe for a super simple chicken broth.

There are 5 main ingredients to the broth. First off, the mirepoix; a mix of carrots, onion, and celery.

DSC_0140 copy
mirepoix

Just rough chop everything up in large pieces. Add to a pot of water with plenty of salt (Not too much ;)) and bring to a boil.

DSC_0141 copy

Add in the chicken. The best parts of the chicken to use for stock are the boney parts. I asked the meat sellers at whole foods if they had any back or neck bones but they did not, so I went with the leg. I just used one. I'm not good with measurements, I eyeball and when eyeballing you want to remember proportions. In the case of the stock it's 2:2:1:1, onion, chicken, celery, carrot. Simple?

DSC_0145 copy

The final ingredient is chicken bouillon. I use one cube for the entire pot.

DSC_0610 copy

Continue to cook and simmer until the veggies and chicken are cooked through and the flavors meld together. Now you can also play with herbs. Parley is always good, some celery salt. Play with it and share what herb blends you like.

DSC_0153 copy

When it's done, just remove the veggies and chicken and voila, you have a broth. Use if for chicken soup, freeze some for other soups and dishes, and enjoy!

I made the stock yesterday and then made a stew with it. Butternut Squash White Bean Stew. Yummy. I'm posting up the recipe link and my pictures tomorrow! So prep your chicken stock and come back.

Happy cooking, happy living.

2 comments:

  1. Butternut squash soup sounds amazing! I need to make some asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to try it asap!
    i just bumped into your blog! love it!

    xoxo from rome
    K.
    http://kcomekarolina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. Please share your thoughts. :)