Wednesday, March 9, 2011

What Women Wear & What Women Strive For

iwander_statuefull

iwander_statues

iwander_head

iwander_statuesit

iwander_statueprofile

iwander_statuehug
{thrifted silk tee, old navy cardigan, urban outfitters scarf (from years ago), h&m shorts,
hue tights, bp boots, f21 sunnies, coach bangle watch, vintage coach bag}

Hey, don't you love technology? It tells you all this stuff that you probably wouldn't know, like how yesterday I learned it was international women's day via Facebook. Well, first of all, I think everyday is international women's day so I don't really see the point, but sometimes to stop and think about how far women have come is important so I started researching. When the very first international women's day was held 100 years ago, "More than one million women and men attended IWD rallies campaigning for women's rights to work, vote, be trained, to hold public office and end discrimination." So here's a giant thank you and cheers to the many women who have and continue to fight and work toward conscious empowerment of women.

Subconsciously, this seemed to inspire the photos for yesterday's outfit as we stumbled upon these faux-rustic statues outside a restaurant near work. I have a fascination for ancient Roman and Greek artwork, mostly because of the real physical depictions of the women in them. They are not rail thin and idealized, they have realistic body types. Perhaps as media is changing and we drift into a more democratic sense of communication where everyone can be seen and heard via the internet, even in outlets such as blogs, we can begin to sway the media to portray women in a less idealistic manner and lean, rather, towards helping women accept the realistic sense of who they are beyond physical appearances. I know that personally, having to see myself and scrutinize my own photos that I post for you guys is not always a piece of cake and with my perfectionist persona can actually be a bit of a struggle. But there's something to be said about overcoming insecurities and putting yourself out there, for your own sake and that of the overall community.

This morning, I heard yet another fabulous and powerful woman speak about business at a special work function and it was truly inspirational. To hear a woman talk about her career journey from successes to failures so eloquently really put me in a positive mindset and gave me some positive affirmation about being able to achieve my own career and personal goals. I hope you all get to interact and listen to successful women on a regular basis, whether they be your own mother or the CEO of a large and established business, they all have amazing things to teach us. If you're craving for some more inspiration after reading this post, I highly suggest taking a listen to the commencement speech J.K. Rowling gave at Harvard for some wise words on what women are capable of achieving. Enjoy, go forth, and spread the girl power.



9 comments:

  1. Pretty boots, nice photos!!!

    http://jozefinafashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful colors! I just love J.K. Rowling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love purple color and you look great!!!
    http://chiccastyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thank you for sharing Rowling's commencement address. Very inspirational, just what I needed to hear after starting a new temp job in which I stuff envelopes literally all day, all the stuff about failure. I never knew much about her life before and it's enlightening to see how she was able to spin such an important and all encompassing tale about good and evil and humanity. Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. go women! also, love the purple shirt with the purple wall

    http://adorablydeliciouslp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw this is cute! I love it! Ah man, you should get the Litas they're worth it haha. Thank you for such a sweet comment!




    www.shevahh.blogspot.com
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just came across your blog! Love your style!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. Please share your thoughts. :)