Last week I brought you an eggplant pasta recipe via my newly acquired cookbook, The Frugal Foodie, and this week I bring you another, this time continuing my foray into baking. From the moment I saw this recipe I knew I needed to try it. Cinnamon, orange, & cranberry are all favorites of mine so to put them all in a delightful little pastry sounded like a challenge I was willing to endure.
Needless to say, the journey was not as glamorous as the final outcome, (thus, lack of photos) and I realized why exactly I don't really bake:
1. I don't have the space, so it's super messy
&
2. I just don't have the supplies
(What I would've done for a mixer when I was haphazardly trying to combine the ingredients!)
Overall, after what seemed like hours of frustrating and chaotic preparation, the scones came out close to perfection. Just the right amount of buttery flakiness and not too much sugar forced me to restrain myself from eating them all but since the recipe makes 18 servings, there was plenty. I actually cut the wedges a bit smaller to make even more scones and brought them to share with my coworkers the next day who scooped them up like hot cakes, two even seemed to engage in a challenge of which one could get more. Totally worth the disheveled preparation process. Next time though, I may have to make a smaller batch.
Recipe via The Frugal Foodie Cookbook by Kaufman & Small*
Makes 18 Servings:
4 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsps baking powder
1 1/2 tsps kosher salt
zest of 2 oranges, finely chopped
3 cups old fashion oats
2 cups (4 sticks) cold, unsalted butter, cubed
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 tbsp heavy cream
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, orange zest, and oats; add butter and toss, On low speed, beat mixture until it becomes a coarse meal; stir in cranberries. Add buttermilk; mix with spoon until it comes together as a dough. Scoop onto floured surface; press into a ball, then divide in thirds. Press each third into 3/4" disk, wrap each one with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Unwrap disks; cut each into 6 equal wedges; divide among 2 greased or nonstick baking sheets, 2" apart. Brush cream over; sprinkle with sugar. Bake sheets 1 at a time on center rack 25-30 minutes, until lightly golden. Serve slightly warm.
*I'm starting to worry that I'm stepping on the toes of copyright infringement so no more recipes via this book. Looks like ya'll just have to go out and purchase a copy.
Happy Hump-day.
S






yum!
ReplyDeletevelvet cupcakes
these look scrumptious! and i love those measuring spoons.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, these are right up my alley! Sound so yummy!
ReplyDeletethey look so yummy!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.fashionablenotebook.blogspot.com
These look terrific! I agree, though, a stand mixer makes baking SO much easier. Still though, great work!
ReplyDeleteNomz!
ReplyDeleteThose measuring spoons are so cute!
ReplyDeleteOooh I must make this SOON. As in ASAP!! Thanks for posting this! :)
ReplyDelete