Thursday, October 7, 2010

Faux-get about it!

DSC_0115

The other day I had a style related conversation with one of my good friends. She expressed to me that in her desire to get styled up for work, her co-workers hold her back. "The slightest sign of heel and I'm 'all dressed-up.'" Naturally I told her to forget them, (well, I used another word but that's improper) and do her own thing but I understood. We've all been there.

I know this is an issue for most people. It's hard to be the one to stand out, the one to recieve any snide or sarcastic comments that may come your way and that's why building your style requires a necessary dose of courage. I remember even as a child getting those comments for what I wore, and they definitely got to me. Enough so that I got to a point where I wasn't dressing for myself, I was dressing so that I'd fit in. Now, what's the fun in that?

DSC_0098

At this point in my life, I'm really just trying to own up to myself and who I am and if that means going balls out, then so be it. Thinking about all this has brought me to hone in on the purpose of my blog. Whether anyone reads it, or I'm just publicly journaling, I want it to represent a fearless sense of self in style. I want to encourage you to stay true to yourself. Live it up and be fabulous, whether your definition of fabulous is just those favorite jeans or a faux fur vest.

DSC_0099

DSC_0108

DSC_0107

American Eagle Vest (Can you believe it?), Zara Skirt, Thrifted Top, F21 Necklace,
Amrita Singh Ring, A2 Cuff, Tommy Hilfiger Safari Booties, OPI Nail Polish in Rising Star

I've had this outfit in my mind since I picked up this skirt over the weekend and have been waiting for it to stop raining to avoid the obvious wardrobe malfunction. The weather delay was also perfect in helping me build up my courage to debut the faux fur at the office. I won't lie, I left the house feeling pretty glamorous but I was a little nervous, too! Who wears faux fur to the office? Well, me, I say! And let me tell you, I got a lot of comments but they were all fairly fun and light-hearted, dare I even say, compliments. If I had a quarter for every person who came up to me and pet my vest, well, that Starbucks latte would have been paid for.

So now I dare you to do something a little out of the box, whether it's wearing those heels that noone else wears or rocking your own faux fur. The only person that can hold you back is you. And if you're still not sure, well, I'm by your side.


2 comments:

Thank you so much for stopping by. Please share your thoughts. :)