Monday, February 28, 2011

My Hair Care Product Must-Haves

iwander_hairmusthaves

I'm not exactly a product junkie, but I do tend to get really excited when buying new beauty products when needed and lately I've been feeling like I have a hair-care arsenal that fits my needs so I wanted to share it with you guys.

When it comes to styling, I tend to fluctuate between wavy and straight. To straighten, phytodefrisant is my go-to product. It is fabulous against frizz and I love that it's botanical. For wavy hair, I discovered living proof no frizz when I had a very brief stint working at Sephora. It's made by MIT scientists and has yet to disappoint me. I use the full thickening cream for some volume and the wave-making spray to enhance the curls.

Whether wavy or straight, I always use some Marrakesh Oil. This is similar to Moroccan Oil, just a different brand but it's still argan oil. My stylist in Chicago introduced me to it and though I bought it way back, it still hasn't run out. My new LA stylist uses Moroccan Oil, so either way, I hope you're using some kind of argan oil to nourish the hair. I apply it daily before drying and even after the hair is dry and needs some more shine.

I don't normally do mousse and hairspray, but on nights when I head out I feel a bit of extra oomph is necessary and big sexy hair root pump has been making it happen for me for years. I recently also discovered blow hairspray and yes, it is magically nonstick and feels completely weightless. Perfect for someone like me, who doesn't normally wear hairspray and doesn't like the feeling.

Other non-pictured tricks include salt water and baby powder. Sometimes when my waves are not cooperating I just mix some salt in water and spritz (over the wave-making spray). It helps to texturize and makes it look like I really just came from the beach. (I also recommend Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray.) And baby powder? Well, I've tried some dry shampoos before but none of them do the trick like the one my friend Nathalie taught me: baby powder. Just massage into the roots and scalp and it soaks up the excess oil to keep your hair looking fresher longer. Yay, for cheap tricks.

And speaking of tricks, what are your hair care must haves and tips? I always love hearing what everyone uses! And let me know if you have any questions about the above products, I'm happy to help!

9 comments:

  1. I love hair styling products! They are like my drugs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have curly hair, so I love products too! I'm always on the hunt for a "miracle product!" I love Moroccan Oil, and I also love Ojon hair products!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips! I use the baby powder trick too. The shampoos don't seem to work as well as that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to invest in more products, but every time I try one I end up being let down. I think that is why I let my hair run wild and just pretend it's a choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post :)

    want to hear your thoughts on beso
    http://pinklemonincrystal.blogspot.com/2011/02/shop-it-all-at-besocom.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been dying to try Moroccan Oil for months...is it really good for fine, straight hair?

    http://justliveintoit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sophie, yes! it is great for fine hair, too. I have fine hair and it doesn't weigh it down at all. It is super light.

    Robyn, I totally agree. It's so frustrating when you buy an expensive problem and it's a let down. I've gotten into a habit of doing lots or research and reading up on a lot of reviews to hope I'm not disappointed. Also, Most beauty supply stores, like Sephora, give samples of the products you want to try. All you have to do is ask. This way, you can try it out for a few days and see if it works with your hair. I definitely recommend it.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You worked at Sephora? That's awesome! I love Sephora and these products look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am just like you - switching between staright and wavy all the time. I love Morrocan Oil and my surfer curls spray. Thanks for all the tips - I had no idea about the baby powder trick - now I can stop buying those expensive dry shampoos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. Please share your thoughts. :)