Wednesday, March 3, 2010

French Women Don't Get Fat

Ok, so I'd say I have a bit of an obsession with food, in a good way. I guess I'd call myself a borderline foody (one who appreciates fine cuisine). Borderline because I can't really afford to eat top cuisine but I can't manage to turn off an episode of Barefoot Contessa and dream about all the goodies either. I'd also put myself on a borderline because I'm conscious about what goes into my body and how it will affect it as a whole.


When I started college, I became very nervous about gaining that dreaded college weight. I read The Dorm Room Diet by Daphne Oz (daughter of the famous Dr. Oz) and I've been interested in healthy living ever since. I've been through a lot of books since then, not because I wanted to diet but because I actually wanted to learn about the nutritional value of food and the benefits that it gives to my body.

Recently, I came across Mireille Guiliano's French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure.

I'm only about 60 pages in, but I love the lifestyle that this book presents. As a European, I've always seen the distinct differences in eating culture here in the states. My grandmother was always making us homemade soups and dishes and, as a kid, i didn't appreciate them because I wanted takeout and pizza like other Americans. Now, I see the benefits of food preparation and the affect it has on your life.

When I spent time in Europe, I noticed that cooking at home was a family tradition and eating out was a treat. Proportion was also important, you can eat the things you love in moderation. This book exposes the French eating culture in a simple to grasp way. It emphasizes cooking your own meals and knowing what's in season, which are essentials in improving your diet. I highly recommend it to any reader, really. Whether you've been trying to lose weight or are just hoping to learn some more healthy tips. Plus, they have recipes! mmm... poached pears anyone?

2 comments:

  1. You should try reading Skinny Bitch if you haven't already. They writers are both vegan but it's still interesting and eye-opening even if you're not trying to be a vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i did read it! and i enjoyed it a lot... it's really made me think and i still think about it to this day. i don't think i could be fully vegan but i've learned a lot from it. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. Please share your thoughts. :)