Saturday, October 31, 2009

Couture Cover Art

A few days ago, on one of my regular Borders jaunts, I came across a book cover that completely caught my attention. It was Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlett Letter but the cover art was done by famed fashion illustrator Ruben Toledo. I immediately fell in love. Toledo's also done cover art for Pride and Prejudice and Wuthering Heights in the Penguin Classic's Collection. I need all these copies. Who says you can't judge a book by it's cover when the cover is beautifully crafted?



Upon further research of Toledo and his work, I found his Style Dictionary, a book of 138 fashion illustrations by the artist. Published in 1997, I think it's out of print and the used copies on Amazon.com start at $108. :-( I'm gonna have to ebay this one...

2 comments:

  1. Love this cover art! I'm right with you in buying these books, besides the really expensive one... I'll just borrow that one from you.
    =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. Please share your thoughts. :)